- NPR quits Twitter after the Musk-led company slapped on a false label of “State Media” to the account.
- National Guardsman is arrested over a massive leak of Pentagon secrets, one of the largest security breaches in decades.
- DeSantis continues his clash with Disney in his latest culture wars brawl, with the company filing a lawsuit against the governor claiming he used his political power to hurt Disney.
- Buzzfeed shuts down its news division and cuts staff by 15% showing it’s more important than ever to support real journalism.
- Tucker Carlson loses his show on Fox News, a blow to disinformation and white supremacy dog whistles everywhere.
- Trump pleads not guilty to 34 felony charges in the campaign finance case regarding payments to Stormy Daniels.
- Supreme Court Justice Thomas Clarence has been secretly accepting luxurious vacations and other donations over the years without properly reporting them raising questions over the Court’s biases.
- Boulder City Council removes Lisa Sweeney-Miran from the Police Oversight Panel sparking debate over the panel’s effectiveness and independence.
- Governor Polis signs several gun control bills into law including raising the minimum age to buy a weapon to 21 and imposing a waiting period.
- Dacono sets a June 27th date for the recall election of council members stemming from their surprise removal of long time city manager A.J. Euckert.
- False report of a pipe bomb in Erie at the King Sooper’s market sparks fear and highlights the growing threat of false gun and bomb reports.
- Erie Home Rule Commission completed its draft of a Home Rule Charter after four months of meeting and deliberation on the issue.
“There’s so much excitement and optimism. How can you not feel good in the midst of everything else? … Our city is hungry for a new kind of leadership in these times and we’re already hard at work.” – Yemi Mobolade, on his candidacy for Mayor of Colorado Springs. He will be the city’s first Black mayor.
“I said we are in a battle for the soul of America, and we still are. The question we are facing is whether in the years ahead we have more freedom or less freedom. More rights or fewer.” – Joe Biden announcing his bid for reelection in 2024
“Our phones should be blowing off the hook, which they are, but they should be blowing off the hook even more.” – Charles Graves, Assistant Veterans Service Officer with the El Paso County Veterans Services on new compensation program for toxic exposure
“These defendants put many lives at risk during what should have been a normal lunch hour on campus.” – CO District Attorney John Kellner on sentencing two teens in 2021 Hinkley High School shooting
“Juul lit a nationwide public health crisis by putting addictive products in the hands of minors and convincing them that it’s harmless.” – Letitia James, New York Attorney General, on $462 million settlement that includes Colorado and other states
By the Numbers:
50% – 1 out of every 2 transgender individuals experience sexual violence according to statistics by MESA
72% – Reduction in plastic bag use after Louisville passes bag tax program
4+ per week – Average number of Americans killed in mass shootings this year, a record pace so far
$38.5 Billion – Proposed total state budget sent to Governor Polis
6 Weeks – New Florida bill would ban abortion following six weeks of pregnancy in the most recent attack on reproductive rights
$6 Billion – NFL Team Washington Commanders sell for a record amount. Why does building these stadiums need public funding again?