- Local political satirist Dariush Namazi was arrested at a Thornton city council meeting prompting major questions about free speech and lack of public communication by certain Thornton council members.
- Council member Maxine Most is recalled in special election over the refusal to relax building codes in the wake of the Marshall Fire rebuilding.
- Truck attempted to run over multiple people at Boulder’s Central Park, damaging the park in the process. The driver was arrested.
- Mt. Evans has been renamed Mt. Blue Sky. Evans was the governor during the Sand Creek Massacre of numerous Cheyenne and Arapaho people and deserves the dishonor.
- King Sooper’s shooter has been determined competent enough to stand trial after two years of discussion.
- Erie Cheer coach is no longer with the school after parents attended in-person open-forum meetings and demanded answers from Superintendent Dr. Haddad.
- Boulder will have the city’s first ranked choice mayoral vote after approving the change in 2022.
- The Government shutdown was averted for now, but expect Republicans to again bring it up as a stalling tactic in the future.
- The Republican Speaker race is a mess after voting to remove Speaker McCarthy, indicative of the Republican Party’s lack of leadership overall.
- Robert F. Kennedy announces run in 2024 Presidential Election, although likely not going to see the same success as others in his family have had.
- Humanitarian crisis grows in the Gaza Strip as Israel prepares to retaliate against Hamas for their surprise attack by launching their own invasion.
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Professors Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman for helping develop the mRNA COVID vaccine that saved so many lives.
- Solar eclipse dazzles millions across North America during the middle of the day on Saturday the 14th.
“The full archival report shows the grim truth that at least 31 students from eight tribal nations died while attending the Fort Lewis Indian Boarding School from 1892 to 1909. The ages of those that passed range from five to 22 years old.” – KUNC on History Colorado report on Colorado boarding schools
“Our officers are Narcan-ing someone almost every day. Jail is low-staffed which has inmates waiting for treatment.” – Boulder Deputy Police Chief Stephen Redfearn
“The ordinance does not give the panel any authority or appeal powers in matters of officer discipline. POP recommendations will remain advisory in nature.” – Boulder Beat on new ordinance for the Police Oversight Panel
“Just as before and during the war, I said that they must free themselves from our lands, or we will expel them by force. And so it happened. The same will be the fate of the Zangezur corridor.” – Azerbaijani president on his nation’s invasion of Armenia
By the Numbers
$3.4 Million – Raised by Boebert challenger Adam Frisch
32% – Boulder area people work remotely, the highest percentage in the nation according to Axios
81 – Pedestrian deaths in Colorado this year so far, with each of the last ten years seeing an increase in fatalities
75+ – Local Election candidates interviewed by YS for our Election Guide
861 – Affordable apartments built in recent years in Boulder according to city data