“COLORADO UNCORKED” is a public tasting of the 2018 GOVERNOR’S CUP wine collection, with chef pairings. All 13 Governor’s Cup finalist wines will be available to taste alongside chef pairings on November 8th.
Wine lovers rejoice!
By way of that intro, let me tell you that we’re definitely rejoicing over the news. We love wine, and we love reviewing wine, and we love Colorado wine, so we’re basically in heaven. What’s happening that has us so excited? Well..
The Colorado Wine Industry Development Board (CWIDB) has announced that the Colorado UnCorked Tasting Event will take place at The History Colorado Center on November 8, 2018, at 7pm. We’re pretty sure we’re free that day. Are you? You should be. Colorado UnCorked will “serve to officially unveil the 2018 Governor’s Cup Collection – previously known as the Governor’s Cup Case – which will consist of the top 13 Colorado wines from the Governor’s Cup Wine Competition and will be paired with bites from some of Colorado’s top Chefs and restaurants.” We’re already practicting our swish and sniff.
This event will be the first and only – again, the first and only – opportunity for the public to try all of the award-winning wines at the same time. The winner of The Best of Show wine will also be revealed that evening. This year’s competition included 344 wines from 49 local wineries – the most submissions in the competition’s nine-year history – all of which are judged by a panel of sommeliers, chefs, and wine experts from around the country.
“It just takes a taste of this year’s winners to know that Colorado wineries are making a name for themselves among wine connoisseurs throughout the country, “said Governor John Hickenlooper. “Congratulations to all of this year’s winners as they are welcomed additions to Colorado’s growing collection of notable wines.”
At this year’s public tasting event, aptly named Colorado UnCorked, wines will be paired with small bites from some of Colorado’s finest chefs. Tickets are $45 for General Admission and $75 for the VIP experience – which includes early admission and a sampling of previous years’ winners – tickets can be purchased HERE or at coloradowine.com/uncorked/.
Participating Chef’s/Restaurants include:
Kyle Foster: Julep
Daniel Asher: River and Woods
Justin Brunson: Old Major
Brandon Brumback: Uchi Denver
Eric Skokan: Black Cat and Bramble and Hare
Adam Vero: Hearth & Dram
Scott Skomal: Sheraton Denver Downtown/16 Mix
Chris Barnes: Sazza Pizza + Salad
Chris Martinez: Ad Hominem
Scott Hybenneth: Angelo’s Taverna
Pinehurst Country Club: Fredrick Kelly
Indulge Bistro and Wine Bar
2018 Colorado Governor’s Cup Collection
*All are made from Colorado grapes or other fruit
- Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) – 2015 Cabernet Franc Reserve, Colorado
- Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) – 2016 Tempranillo, Colorado
- Carlson Vineyards (Palisade) – Plum Wine, 100% Grand Valley plums
- Carlson Vineyards (Palisade) – 2017 Sweet Gewürztraminer, Grand Valley AVA
- Colorado Cellars (Palisade) – 1999 Port, Colorado
- Colterris (Palisade) – 2017 “CORAL” White Cabernet Sauvignon, Grand Valley AVA
- Colterris (Palisade) – 2016 “Estate Selection, Riverside Vineyard” Merlot, Grand Valley AVA
- Colterris (Palisade) – 2016 Petit Verdot, Grand Valley AVA
- The Infinite Monkey Theorem (Denver) – 2016 Cabernet Franc, Grand Valley AVA
- Monkshood Cellars (Minturn) – 2016 Syrah, Grand Valley AVA
- Red Fox Cellars (Palisade) – 2016 Teroldego, Grand Valley AVA
- Snowy Peaks Winery (Estes Park) – 2016 Elevé (Rhône-style red blend), Grand Valley AVA
- Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) – 2017 Riesling, Grand Valley AVA