Editor’s Note: Press Releases are provided to Yellow Scene. In an effort to keep our community informed, we publish some press releases in whole.
The 2022 mural festival includes 16 new murals, Augmented Reality art and Digital Art Installations & Workshops / September 29 – October 2, 2022
Street Wise Arts returns to deliver an incredible line-up of talented muralists featuring AR and digital collaborations to enhance audience experiences through FREE public viewings and live experiences occurring daily from Thursday, September 29 – Sunday, October 2nd in beautiful Downtown Boulder. Official Launch Art Party on Saturday October 1st at Junkyard Social Club 2525 Frontier Ave., Boulder, CO
Boulder, CO – Street Wise Arts is excited to announce the fourth year of the Street Wise Boulder Mural Festival from September 29 through October 2. This year’s mural festival will include 16 new murals located in downtown and central Boulder. The 2022 artist line-up includes 20 Colorado-based artists and 4 out-of-state artists, each creating work surrounding topics that will include women in science, youth education, conservation, indigenous relations, mental health and more.
“I want to inspire people. Most importantly I want to inspire people who question identity and self-worth. I’m a Mexican-born artist who grew up in the U.S. and have seen what colonization has done to Black and Latin people. With my work I want to remind everyone how beautiful and important our culture, heritage and physical
appearance is with a decolonized eye. I believe public art can empower and bring communities together,” says 2020 muralist Marka 27
Street Wise 2022 Festival Highlights
- Artist Line-Up: A.L Grime + Ashely Foreman + Austin Zucchini-Fowler + Cante Eagle Horse + Ciara Bourne + Deep Space Drive In + George F. Baker III + Jessica Moon Bernstein-Schiano + Juls Mendoza + Joseph Jimenez + Koco Collab + Leilani Nobuko Deer + Maddison Chaffer + Onecho + Pat Milbery + Randy Segura + Sandra Fettingis & Sandi Calistro + Valerie Rose + Waveform + Zoelie Saez & Abram Aleo
- Digital Activations: Augmented reality (AR) to all the new murals as well as selected existing murals from 2019 to 2021 and brand new digital collaborations through partnerships with IRL Art, Denver Digerati, Waveform and Deep Space Drive In. This new programming includes two nights of evening projection mapping in two downtown locations, augmented reality activations, a special screening of the “Best of Supernova7” and free digital art workshops in partnership with IRL Art. This new media allows artists to strengthen storytelling and encourages audiences to explore content and subject matter, ultimately amplifying and creating conversations regarding important social justice movements, human rights, and diverse identities.
- Festival Events: Daily guided mural tours with Street Wise docents, the Street Wise art exhibition and happy hour at the Street Wise HQ, guided E-bike tours with JD’s Joyrides, a spray painting workshop with Grow Love, the official Street Wise ART party and fundraiser at Junkyard Social Club, Art and Activism panel discussion, an exclusive screening of the best of Supernova7 digital art films in partnership with Denver Digerati, and special pop up projection installations in downtown Boulder. Event schedule will be posted at www.streetwisearts.org/events.
- A Youth Community Mural Workshop: Led by artist Joseph Jimenez. The Street Wise youth program will include three weekend workshop sessions that explore collaborative design and painting techniques. The mural will explore community identity and the history of the Goss Grove neighborhood. Open to high school students 14 to 18 years of age. Scholarship and registration information coming soon. Workshops located at 21st St & Canyon Blvd.
- Festival Location Details: Panels, workshops, and community events will take place in conjunction with the mural festival at various partner locations. Visit the Street Wise HQ at 1909 Broadway Ste 100 during the festival to pick-up maps, explore art installations, and get exclusive Street Wise merchandise. The headquarters are only open to the public during the festival dates, September 29th through October 2nd, between the hours of 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Street Wise Boulder is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, The City of Bouder’s Office of Arts & Culture, the Boulder Arts Commission and FPA Gives. We offer gratitude and acknowledgement to our local business sponsors: Conscience Bay Company, The Dairy Arts Center, Creative Nations Collective, Unico Properties, ETown Hall, The Rayback Collective, Mountain Sun Pubs & Brewery, Sierra Nevada, Reve Properties, Museo De Las Américas, Z2 Entertainment and the Fox Theater, The Hill Family, JD’s Joyrides, and Boulder County Arts Alliance. Thank you to our media partners and in-kind sponsors: Birdy Magazine, KGNU Radio, and The Boulder Weekly. Junkyard Social Club, West End Plaza, Tebo Properties, Unico Properties, Jupiter Visual, BMoCA, Mountain Sun Pubs, Festival Del Sol/Chautauqua Khow Thai Cafe, Sierra Nevada, Liquid Death Water, and Boulder B-Cycle.
Street Wise Arts is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Our mission is to vision, advocate and implement community art, urban art, murals, and art education projects to enhance our creative community, amplify cultural diversity and engage the community in social advocacy and dialogue. Our core values are advocating for and representing artists, promoting collaboration, and contributing to a rich cultural landscape. Over the past three years, the Street Wise mural festival has installed more than 85 murals throughout the city of Boulder with the mission to unite communities through art and activism, facilitate equitable representation of diverse cultures and identities in public art, and encourage discussions about social justice and community resilience.
Media inquiries or interview requests can be directed to: Leah Brenner Clack, Founder & Executive Director