- Online marijuana sales began on August 7th. Someone should really start a pizza + weed delivery combo.
- Fort Lupton police officer found guilty for leaving a woman in his patrol cruiser that was struck by a train. The officer parked his car on the train tracks after taking her into custody. She survived but was severely injured.
- Newly implemented law in Colorado to raise age to buy a firearm to 21 has been blocked by Federal Judge.
- Nearly a quarter of a million dollars worth of bikes have been stolen in Boulder this year according to the Stolen Bikes dashboard
- Mike Johnson is inaugurated as Denver’s Mayor after beating Kelly Brough earlier this summer.
- Florida tries to ban AP Psychology in their growing fight against being educated.
- Two attorneys associated with Colorado, John Eastman and Jenna Ellis, are indicted alongside Trump, this time simply for attempting to overthrow our government and end democracy as we know it.
- The State of Georgia also indicts Trump over his tampering with election results. Pardons in Georgia particularly hard to come by.
- Entire Colorado River Basin faces massive drought mainly due to decrease in snowmelt from shifting climate patterns.
- Mitch McConnell apparently freezes on live TV in a scary incident, prompting questions of his health and fitness for office.
- Twitter rebrands to “X” begging the question: why?
- Sinead O’Connor passes away at 56. Thank you for speaking up against Papal abuse when no one else would.
- U.S. soldier who was about to be disciplined sprinted across the North Korean border, defecting to the brutal regime.
- Over 1,000 Russians and Belarussians are stripped of their permanent resident status in Lithuania after being deemed “threats to national security”.
- Heading to Europe next year? Make sure to apply for a Visa, something previously unrequired.
- Group of West African nations say they will intervene in Niger’s ongoing coup if it is not soon resolved diplomatically.
“Tragically, young people are getting their hands on guns all too easily and putting them to terrible use against others — and with serious consequences for their own lives.” – DA Michael Doughtery on recent youth gun violence
“The fire was just traveling too fast, and too hot and next thing you know Lahaina town is gone, literally gone.” – Mark Stefle, Maui Fire survivor
“While I appreciate the need for transparency, it is important to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation regarding the law enforcement officers’ use of force.” – Summit County Sheriff Jaime FitzSimons on Sheriff’s records request denial regarding the shooting of Charlie Foster
“Now, more than nine months have passed, no evidence has been revealed and it has become even clearer that the impact of the dean’s actions has been irreparable and far-reaching.” – Letter signed by more than 300 academics protesting firing of CU Boulder professor Patty Limerick from the Center of the American West
By the Numbers
22% – Increase in abortions performed by Colorado clinics following harsh restrictions like those in Texas
$1 Billion – Barbie Movie revenue, highest ever for a female director
13% – Number of Colorado families who will receive free full time preschool, not the promised 50%
110° / 31 Days – Phoenix experiences an entire month of daily temperatures over 100°
60% – Increase in water bills after a sudden water rate hike for Lafayette residents
17 – People shot and killed by Colorado law enforcement in 2023 so far